Webinar: Roma and Memorialization: Advancing Recognition and Remedy for the Dark Chapters of the Past and their Impact on the Present
Hybrid Stocktaking International Roundtable on 15 September 2022 (Geneva / online)
The UN Human Rights Office Indigenous Peoples and Minorities Section (OHCHR IPMS), in collaboration with the UN Special Rapporteur on minority issues, the UN Special Rapporteur on the promotion of truth, justice, reparation and guarantees of non-recurrence, and the UN Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance together with the CEPS-led project CHACHIPEN, World Council of Churches (WCC), Central Council of German Sinti and Roma, ERIAC, and other civil society partners will hold an international stocktaking roundtable on 15 September 2022. The event is slated to take place in Geneva. We invite you to register for an online meeting/webinar format.
This international stocktaking roundtable invites us to examine the current state of recognition of the dark chapters of history related to ‘anti-Gypsyism’ or ‘antigypsyism’. The event will explore how the legacies of this historically-rooted structural form of racism against Roma are impeding the right to know and the right to truth and justice.
The initiative brings together UN entities and special rapporteurs, civil society groups and coalitions, academics and representatives of Government to examine the state-of-play of Roma and memorialization, and to map steps forward for progress in this area.
- E. Tendayi Achiume, UN Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance
- Fabian Salvioli, UN Special Rapporteur on the promotion of truth, justice, reparation and guarantees of non-recurrence
- Fernand de Varennes, UN Special Rapporteur on minority issues
- Ismael Cortes, Member of Parliament, Spain/ / CHACHIPEN Advisory board member
- Iulius Rostas, CHACHIPEN researcher, former Chair of Romani Studies at Central European University
- Julissa Mantilla, Rapporteur on the Rights of Migrants, the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights
- Rita Izsak-Ndiaye, OSCE Personal Representative on Children and Security, former UN Special Rapporteur on minority issues and former member of the UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
- Soraya Post, Councilor, City of Gothenburg, Sweden and former MEP/ CHACHIPEN Advisory board member
Livestream of the Webinar
25 April 2023: The Conference History, Memory and Justice for Roma people in Europe was the EU
Roma Week Flagship Event hosted by the European Parliament.
Members of the CHACHIPEN project attended the ‘International Conference on the Genocide of the Roma and Combating Antigypsyism’, hosted by the Swedish Presidency of the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA) in Stockholm, 20-21 October 2022. Read more about the conference below and in the Summary Report (pdf).
3 March 2023: Hybrid Roundtable in Bucharest on paving the way for truth and reconciliation processes in Romania, linked to the Romanian CHACHIPEN country report.
16 December 2022: Launch of the national report on Spain, ‘The persecution of Roma during Franco’s dictatorship”, Hyrid event on Truth, Memory and Justice
9 December 2022: Launch of the national report on Sweden, ‘Considering the Swedish Commission Against Antigypsyism 2014-2016: Experiences, lessons learned and recommendations